Sunday, July 31, 2011

Petra: trade & slavery (Part I)

Today marks the annual trade deadline for Major League Baseball here in the Homeland, and it got me to thinking about trade and the impacts it has had on world history. As a young undergraduate (studied history and anthropology) I was fortunate to spend two consecutive Spring terms in Mexico looking at the impacts of a paved road into Puerto Angel, Oaxaca from Acapulco (pre & post-construction). It was overwhelming the changes that paved road brought: “build and he [and she] will come”. Fishing boats converted to tour launches, family homes to B&B like Posadas, and many restaurants. 

Now think of the changes that Wadi Mousa, Jordan at Petra’s gateway has seen. With visitation rocketing from +/- 800 per day during the high season in 2005 to 4-5,000 three years later (after making the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World list): the town’s population has exploded, dwarfing Umm Sayhoun the nearby Bedouin community. The Wadi Mousa (Valley of Moses) area has grown from nomadic camps watering at the many springs in the area to a small village to a mid-size town with many 5-Star/Luxury hotels catering to domestic and international guests: trade. Visiting the bakery, produce markets, eateries, and even the barbershop often had me thinking “this is a good life…” Would I want to “trade” my western US lifestyle? Probably not… I’m very accustomed to my niche… and as Joe Walsh sang: “Life’s been good to me so far…”

In a couple of months I plan to be walking and working amongst our friends there. I know that my tracks will be added lightly to the cumulative caste of the millions that have treaded that turf (in the slang sense). I will once again behold the facades, columns and work projects that stand testimony to the centuries of effort, labor, migration and trade: our continuing story since time began.  (Next time: slavery…)




No comments:

Post a Comment