Friday, September 16, 2011

An Example of the Peter Principle?

We’re familiar with the principle: rising to one’s level of incompetence.
I prefer to think of “the cream rising”; however, tomorrow starts the Lobo Cup, a US Tennis Association Southwest Section Juniors Tournament in Albuquerque. Juniors from all over the country will be competing at the UNM Tennis Center, Albuquerque Academy, and Jerry Cline Tennis Center. National ranking points are to be earned.
With a big tip-of-the-Ranger-sombrero to Dorothy Delaine I was asked to pinch-hit as the Tournament Referee (TR), which is a promotion for me. I have learned a lot, and as much as it may seem sarcastic (who me?): I am grateful for the vote-of-confidence and opportunity. Of course when asked the entries stood at 5; it has now increased to 205. I’ve usually worked college and juniors events in chairs or as a rover. I’ve been the TR at simpler single-site tournaments, but now we’re going to be at 3-sites around town. At present, we are as ready as we’re going to be thanks to the efforts of: Bob Scott (Tournament Director - TD), Gui DuPont (Deputy TD), Nora Quintal (asst. TD), Betty Michael (Site Ref. Jerry Cline Tennis Center), Gail Long (Site Ref. Albuquerque Academy), and roving officials: Bill Long, Barbara Cochrane, Jean Pierre Barbarre, Roman Motnyk & Jerry Prohaska. If you know any of these people PLEASE thank them. Thank them for their efforts and patriotism (yes patriotism: we have a physical fitness challenge and issue in this country you know). Plus, when an umpire ends their roving shift it reminds me of zombies from “The Walking Dead.” It is hard work, done for the love-of-the-game. My/our thanks to ALL involved, and of course the players.
           I reflect this evening back to the last National Points Juniors Tournament that I worked in Albuquerque this July. It was hot (highs in upper 90’s), and as I walked in through the gate at a court a player projected with gusto his evacuation of bodily fluids from his stomach to my feet (twice). Usually I don’t invoke that reaction until someone knows me better. But, we took care of the player and the situation - paly continued and it was a successful tournament. With highs of 80 expected (and no rain forecast), it should be excellent tennis weather (and we don’t expect any expressions of umpiring competence like our July celebration).
           Let the games begin…  UPDATE on morning of 18 Sept: yesterday's rain & lightning delays made for really long days for all. THANKS AGAIN for your help amigos y amigas...

No comments:

Post a Comment