Wednesday, November 16, 2011

THANK YOU to the many that have served & given…

VVAW on-The-Mall '71

The other day I was doing some weights work at Santa Fe Community College’s Resistance Training Center (aka: gym) and I thought how proud the SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) would be about how far we’ve come with an entire center dedicated to their efforts for social justice & change. As a VVAW vet of the Occupy the DC Mall (April ’71), I wondered how long the courts would go along with present encampments around the country (guess we know now). As I recall, US Court in ’71 said we couldn’t make any “preparations to sleep,” so our stay was short in comparison. Of course, the whole “99%” thing is rhetorical hogwash that reminds me of Spiro Agnew’s “Silent Majority.” Neither he, nor the “Occupy movement” represent much beyond themselves. They certainly don’t speak for a majority in this Republic.
Iron Age copper pit - steps
BTW- appears that Petra Archaeological Park, Jordan: Phase III might be a go for this next spring (inshallah).
As I put on a Bureau of Land Management Volunteer shirt today I realized that like many I am a volunteer for a myriad of agencies & organizations: National Park Service, Forest Service, NM State Parks, NM Historic Preservation Div., Santa Fe County Open Space, etc.  We have so many of US that make our land work, and I prefer to think it isn’t broken beyond repair (yet). We could sure use some lube-oil-filter maintenance though.
I want to start by again thanking ALL of our veterans of military service. I know personally that it was… often challenging. In addition, I want to herald our public servants, especially emergency services personnel for their contributions to public safety & welfare of citizens.  I’ve noticed that those that sometimes cry loudest about perceived injustices haven’t “been there, done that” in putting their lives in “Harm’s Way.” I am reminded that it takes the warriors & the healers to bind and protect the villages.
Of course, those that have known me awhile realize I am constantly singing a hymn unto our teachers – every occupation & profession owes them. I’ve written more than one op-ed pointing that out. Even though I was a less than average student through high school (tried to make-up for it in college and with my chosen profession/s), would I have evolved into an interest for Oriential Archeology (yes, I can even spell it both ways) had it not been for Pete LiPera? I can’t say “THANK YOU” enough times to those that impart their wisdom to us in oh so many ways…

Pete LiPera - Eastern Civilization* (and so much more), Burbank, HS
*- I thought the class was going to be about New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment