Monday, April 13, 2015

More Profiles & Courage…Fighting-on


As readers of this intermittent blog know sports has a very special place in the journeys of my life. I have a classical view that the overall person greatly benefits from athletic endeavor: mind-body-spirit. I have written about it on occasion, starting with: http://travelranger87508.blogspot.com/2011/09/jack-and-giant-slayers.html
(also in my posts: 09/16/11, 07/23/12, 08/17,12, 01/19/13, 02/04/13, 06/19/13)

McCambridge Park - Burbank
I see it plainly in my continuing interests and activities: archaeological site stewardship (I still teach it & heritage resource investigations), incident management (Safety Officer 1 on wildland fires), and tennis official/umpire (college mostly: yesterday I had good view, chairing San Diego State vs New Mexico men’s #2 doubles & #1 singles). That doesn’t mean I was ever particularly good at any sport (for-the-record: I wasn’t*), but I enjoyed playing anyway- usually part of a team (something I still enjoy about going on fire duty). I spent many hours at Burbank’s Brace Canyon Park, and the epicenter of my sport recollections: McCambridge Park. For it was there that I played many a baseball or basketball game, forging several acquaintances & friendships. My mom arranged for my first tennis lesson there when I was ten, it didn’t take (that would be several more decades in the future), and the hours spent feeding quarters into outdoor court light timers for shooting hoops is still a pleasant high school memory.

Some McPBs: Burbank High '64 
So, it was with some regret that I came to the realization that I would miss the next reunion of “The McCambridge Park Boys,” (McPB) scheduled for May 2nd; same weekend as annual meeting of the Archaeological Society of New Mexico (in Taos this year). I made a proto-type gathering several years back while enroute to NZ. Would love to make this one, but archaeology & tennis in New Mexico prevail this time. I think often about the McPBs and how they’ve touched so many with their lives: Mike Acosta, Rollin Adams, Jeff Altman, Jerry Altman, Bob Carter, John Coyle, Mike Cummings, Dean DeHart, Danny DeMonbrun Mickey DePalo, Mike Feix, Jim Flavin, Ron Franzen, John Gaball, Jim Grasse, Jim Greenfield, Danny Harris, Jack Harris, Kirk Harris, Joe James, Jon Kirkwood, Bill Langer, Denny LePon, Gary LePon, Sam Licursi, Steve Livingston, Bob Lopez, Larry Lopez, Don Ludwig, Joe Marca, Harold Maxham,  Richard Nicholls, Bob Nugent, Mike Nugent, Freddy Ortega, Gary Oseranksky, Bob Pappert, Wayne Patterson, Gerard Ravel, Terry Scott, Steve Segal, Rick Shaw, Rees Smith, Daryl Spitzer, Dave Starleaf, Brad Stenberg, Tom Veatch, Steve Wilson, and many others…

Some of the McPBs
In her book Plunder of the Ancients, Lucinda Schroeder writes about a couple of the Native American Graves Protection & Repatriation Act cases we worked on. She starts with the East-West Trading Co., a component of which was appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court (I realize I need to start posting about some of my “case memories”). Anyway, when I read I am an “affable man… kept in shape by playing tennis on a regular basis.” I remember thinking “Geesh Cindy, this is supposed to be a ‘True Story’ and the only time in my life that I’ve been in shape was when I got out of Boot Camp.” However, I try… I think some of the McPB’s accomplish it.

I recently finished reading a book got that me thinking about the overall role of athletics in a well-rounded life. I e-mailed one of the McPBs (Don Ludwig), starting center on the Burbank HS Bulldog varsity basketball team (Class of ’64).
Question sent to Don Ludwig: “Just finished reading Laura Hillenbrand's book UNBROKEN about Louis Zamperini. What a remarkable man; this ol' Viet Vet got misty a couple of times at the end. He sure embodied the spirit of "fight on." In your works with USC athletics did you get to work with him? Just wondering. I think my next blog post will be about the positive impact that athletics can have: yep, will certainly mention ‘The McCambridge Park Boys.’ "

Don & Debbie Ludwig + friends
Don’s Reply (which he has graciously allowed me to share): “Yes, I coordinated the Trojan Christian Faculty Staff Fellowship & undergraduate Spirituality & Sports Programs & we had Louie come to speak to us with a professor friend from the Journalism School doing the interviewing.  This was 4 years ago when he was still able to get around a little.  We also showed the film clip on him that 60 Minutes did…I also have read the book & recommend it to everyone!!!!
God bless you & ‘fight on’ " 
More about Louis Zamperini from CBS Sports:
Plus, some more re: Don Ludwig:


*- Contributing factors probably included Gilbert Syndrome and just being downright uncoordinated: I once had a high school football coach note that I was the first player he had “ever seen trip over a yard-line.” Other teammates, coaches & mentors can attest to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment