Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Remembering Wrigley… a TCP




25 Oct 2016- countdown to this year’s World Series is 2.5 hours to “Play Ball.” Seventy-two hours later game 3 is scheduled to be the first World Series matchup at Wrigley Field since 1945; yep, 71-years. I know Cubs fans are ecstatic that their “Cubbies” are “in it” for the first time in generations. I’m excited, and I’m a Dodgers fan (but have also rooted for the boys in red-white & blue from the northside of Chicago for a long time: my initial game a Dodger Stadium was Cubs vs. Dodgers).
                 
Wrigley Field- under construction
Yeah gotta love fans that are so eternally optimistic (“wait until next year”) and universally positive (“Let’s go Cub-bies”) – unlike some other franchise’s fans that seem to dwell on negativity and aggression (“beat LA”). Wrigley Field is a special place: allow me share memories of my sojourn there.
                  When I was working for the State Historic Preservation Officer in New Mexico, I had the NM Dept. of Transportation as a primary client. Their lead archaeologist (Blake Roxlau) was born in Iowa and raised in the Midwest: he was a life-long Cubs fan. On one of our inspection trips to Lincoln County I learned he’d never been to a game a Wrigley Field. I knew in a heartbeat that we needed to wind-our-way via Southwest Airlines and see some games.
          
Turns out an ol’ NPS Ranger bro (JD Swed) was living/stationed nearby as the Chief Ranger at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.  JD was also a Cubs fan (longtime…). Meme & Justin weren’t available to make the trip from the “land of Enchantment,” but JD made the commute into the Second City. We caught two afternoon games: The Cubs were victorious over the Houston Astros (NL Central foes at the time) on day one, followed by Los Dodgers coming to town and turning-the-tables on the hometown crew. After the games we visited some local abrs and eateries: one was Ditka’s, where part way through dinner we noticed “Coach Ditka” had taken up residence at the next table. JD gave him our regards and had a quick chat.
                 
1935
I came to see the games, but as much I also went to see Wrigley Field. It was about 90+ years old and had legend going for it: Babe Ruth & the Red Sox playing the Cubs in the Series, then years later Babe with the Yankees in-the-Series “calling his shot” homerun. I wanted to see if Wrigley Field had the elements to be considered a TCP (“Traditional Cultural Property”). I had posed the question at a training session of the President’s Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, but was quickly shushed by the moderator (at a break he explained that due to the number of Native American tribal representatives present, he didn’t-want-to-go-there). Well, I did and so I did physically. True that TCPs are most often associated with Native Americans and certain other cultural groups, but I was thinking of the elements like
an urban neighborhood that is the traditional home of a particular cultural group, and that reflects its beliefs and practices; a location where a community has traditionally carried out economic, artistic, or other cultural practices important in maintaining its historic identity.”

                  
Let’s face it: Wrigley Field is historic (by U.S. standards & definition), people make periodic pilgramiges to be there, I noticed lots of ritualistic behavior (& imbibing) going on, and lots of what might have been praying. I think it fits. Go CUBS!

No comments:

Post a Comment