Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Venus in Transition


           Transitions are our one constant in life aren’t they? Yesterday was the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Midway, and tomorrow is the 68th anniversary of D-Day, the invasion to liberate Europe of Nazi occupation. I’m reminded that on Dec. 5, 1941 my father was student at Glendale High School in southern California, on Dec. 8th he stood with many at the U. S. Navy Recruiting Station and was at the Battle of Midway. He turned 18 between enlisting and Midway: proud of his country, the Navy, his service to it, and the opportunities that he was afforded. Me too.
           Yesterday I learned that our departure to Petra had again been postponed, but this time by just one week. However, during Father’s Day I’ll have just arrived at PAP and be busy starting our Park Ranger mentoring work there. So, I thought a little pre-Father’s Day post would be in order. I have many thanks to give my parents: well beyond the gift-of-life; many life-lessons too. My dad was born in Littleton, CO (his mother’s maiden name was Littleton) and his formative years were spent a little north of there on a family farm outside Ft. Collins. Being reared with animals probably contributed to his passion for working with dogs, which came about clearly during the 1950’s. Two-weeks after he was discharged from the Navy post World War II he started a career with Pacific Bell Telephone as a splicer. I remember seeing him down in-a-hole one night working a cut-over, but most of his 35+ year career was as an engineer with “Ma Bell.” It was very honest work, and he had a reputation as a “trouble shooter” that could help “fix things” with under-performing units.
           He had an artistic talent for grooming and handling dogs at AKC shows. Both of my parents worked as terrier breeders (primarily Belington) and as professional handlers through much of the 50’s & 60’s. During that time they got to meet Rockefellers and Kennedys (also terrier owners) and many other dog fanciers. In the late 1960’s they became AKC Judges and both remained active as long as their health permitted. When dad retired from the telephone company it permitted him to do even more judging assignments: all over the globe. Gee, is it any wonder that “I flunked retirement right out-of-the-chute?” I too will try to keep on contributing with Incident Management Teams and Park Ranger mentoring as long as I can be productive. Dad, I always try to remember your counsel to have a positive attitude and to invest in the future of this republic. Today is primary election day here in Nuevo Mexico, and indeed I cast my ballot. THANK YOU Dad… and ALL you dads out there (and moms too… couldn’t have done it without you…)    


Dad in 1986 with my cousins Rick & Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment