Friday, April 22, 2011

A Good Friday… and Peace be with you ALL…

With the stars aligned for Earth Day and Good Friday (“God’s Friday”) it is indeed auspicious.  Watching CNN-Middle East I heard that Friday is a “traditional day of protest.” Seems that several months has become their definition of tradition- I can hear it being sung from the roof-tops now: “Tradition…”  24-7-365 news cycles is being lead by schmucks (but you already knew this). Friday in Muslim countries is a day of reflection and prayer, so I thought a visual revisit to The Monastery area might be in order: “it was a kick-ass day with all the donkeys on the trail to The Monastery” (just couldn’t sit-on-that-one any longer):
Plus from our Dead Sea odyssey: proof positive that fat floats.
The secret to walking on water might be The Dead Sea (and faith). Some of you may have been wondering about the recipe or “Bedouin Whisky” (aka tea). This recipe is from his Honor Akmed (the non-camel one), “The Mayor of Petra”: boil water in a pot; add some Two Gazelle (Al-Ghazaleen) Black Tea from Sri Lanka; let simmer- add 4-handfuls of sugar (or 4-5 teaspoons per cup). As the saying goes: “a spoonful of sugar helps the sucrose go down…”  Today we went to another guy’s- only wedding reception at the Nawafleh family hall in… Nawafleh section of Wadi Musa. Tribal traditions tenaciously transcend modern mobility’s. Hmmm, more goats gave their all, and “Hey! Keep that left hand out out of the community dish of mensaf (even after 4 times I still find it best to keep my left hand in a pocket).  I’ve learned that this Sunday is a holiday here for Christians (most people will work, go-to-school, etc.); the following Sunday is a holiday to: May 1 (May Day). So, with the holidays, upcoming workshop, and comp days earned I should have… hmmm, I should’ve gone home some time ago. Meme will be arriving at Amman Int’l Tuesday evening (after the workshop): I’ll have her ride ready- working here has changed me some, I wonder if she’ll recognize me…

No comments:

Post a Comment